If so, then below are some things to think about, look in to, and even implement to make your Outlook life easier and you more productive.
- Outlook does not like email stores greater than 2 gigs. Seems like a lot of space, but you would be surprised since many people do not ever delete an email. You can check your storage usage by Right clicking over your Mailbox (It will be the upper most folder) and choose Properties. The click on the Folder size button.
- The Inbox is a special folder and is treated differently than the rest of the folders, so do not keep a lot of messages in there since this will just slow down the program from opening and responding normally.
- If you are using an older version of Outlook, uninstall it and do a clean install of Outlook 2007. This version of Outlook performs much better than the earlier versions.
- Disable any unwanted or unused Add-ins.
- Delete and recreate your OST file. Often the file will get corrupt if you receive any errors saying the your outlook file is being checked for errors. Your OST file is the local storage for all of your emails. Just do a search for the file, Close Outlook, delete it, and re-open Outlook and all of your email will sync back down.
- If you have a very large Outlook account and continually receive errors upon opening the program, try closing Outlook before you shutdown your computer. Often your computer will shut down before Outlook has elegantly closed, thus giving an error the next time you open the program.
- Archive your data to a PST file since this can greatly reduce the amount of space on the server and will help to make Outlook perform better.
- Regularly do Office updates to ensure you are running the latest Outlook code.
If you have any questions or need any help, please do not hesitate to shoot me an email of give me a call.